Sunday, October 4, 2015

Diverse Source: Kevin Talley

Quotes colleted by: Josh Szczeblewski
Source: Kevin Talley
About the Source: 26 years old, MFA in dramatic writing, from Amarillo, Texas, Student, Grad year will be December 2016





Question 1: This is the 25-year anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act, how do you think Texas State has changed since the implementation of the act? 

Talley: "Texas State is a challenging campus, but for every challenge I always see a ADA access point such as ramps and elevator options.  As a lecturer I've had students with disabilities.  I've had def students and the university will provide accommodations for them such as people who come in and type out my lecture for them to read. " 


Question 2: Do you ever use any of the physical accommodations required by the ADA, such as elevators, ramps or door openers? How does this affect your commute around campus?

Talley: "I don't personally use them.  I've taken an elevator once or twice and occasionally walked up the ramps, but for the most part I use the stairs as a direct access."


Question 3: What do you think this campus or this university would be like without the ADA?

Talley: "It would be completely impossible for disabled students to use our campus.  There would not be any options for them.  Our buildings would be inaccessible." 


Question 4:  Does the ADA affect you personally in any way?

Talley: "Every year I have students that need accommodations for their disabilities." 


Question 5: How do you think the university does in complying with the ADA?

Talley: "I think the campus does a really good job. I see it everywhere.  I am aware that there is an ADA presents on campus. I think the university is striving to be in compliance and provide students with disabilities the best educational experience that they can have."

No comments: