Sunday, October 4, 2015

Diverse Source Interview

Quotes collected by: Brenna O'Donnell
Source: Kerry Fellers
Identifying information about source: Kerry Fellers, 21,  Senior, From Burleson, Texas,Construction Science Major




Question 1: This is the 25-year anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act, how do you think Texas State has changed since the implementation of the act? 
 
"I’m sure that Texas State has made accommodations for the disabled since the ADA especially since our campus is so dang hilly. I see ramps and elevators in almost every building, and acceptance for those who are disabled seems to be a normal now-a-days."
 
 Question 2: Do you ever use any of the physical accommodations required by the ADA, such as elevators, ramps or door openers? How does this affect your commute around campus?
 
" I do, yes, use the ramps and elevators when it’s convenient for me mostly. Honestly, it’s pretty awesome that I can just walk up a ramp when my legs are tired of using stairs. Elevators I don’t necessarily use as much unless I am in the library. It is helpful to my commute but it wouldn’t negatively affect it if they were not there either."
 
 Question 3: What do you think this campus or this university would be like without the ADA? 
 
"Without the ADA, I feel like Texas State wouldn’t be terribly different. I think the elevators and ramps would still exist and be put into the campus’ layout because even those who are not disabled use the resources."
 
 Question 4:  Does the ADA affect you personally in any way? 
 
"The ADA does not and has not affected me personally mostly because I am not disabled nor do I know someone who is disabled."
 
 
Question 5: How do you think the university does in complying with the ADA?
 
"I definitely think Texas State does a pretty good job of taking care of the disabled through the ADA. Every building I have been in all have elevators and ramps which is important as well as all of the bathrooms and automatic doors."
 
 
 

No comments: