Sunday, October 4, 2015

Diverse Source Interview

Quotes collected by Samuel Kelly
Source name Naomi Faltin 
Identifying info Naomi Faltin, 19, Junior, Public Relations Major




Question 1: How do you think the campus has been affected by the ADA?
"I was actually thinking about that before because there's so many hills and stairs, I'm sure a lot of thought goes into planning. Especially when trying to make things wheelchair accessible. For the same reason if someone breaks their leg, it would be difficult to get around so I'm sure the changes have helped."

"I also know that people with invisible disabilities, like it's not physical, you have to go through Student disabilities services. And if you need any accommodations with testing or in class I know people who have interacted with them and the office is very helpful."

Question 2: How do you think the campus has changed since the act?
"Physical structures like ramps and elevators as well as awareness was probably very different. 25 years ago people may not have been as aware of disabilities as we are now. Problems were likely a case by case basis as opposed to accommodating for everyone."

Question 3: How often do you find yourself using these structures and do they help your commute?
"I've heard some sororities and fraternities, though I'm not sure which, discourage using certain accommodations like the larger bathrooms and the doors that open with the button unless they need to use them. Which was interesting to hear because I don't think about it that much but since hearing that I try to be much more aware of choosing to use the stairs or using one of the smaller stalls." 

Question 4:  Do you think that there could be more changes to the campus? What would they be?
"I'm not sure of what changes there could be but if the whole traveling thing is an issue then I'd say making the construction sites more regulated. Some areas don't have ramps and I'm sure that makes it difficult."

Question 5: Do you know anyone who is directly affected by the ADA? Do you think they are well accommodated for?
"Yes, I know several people and yes I think they're well accommodated. But I will say that I've heard of some people that had been turned away from the student counseling center , and it's a great resource and I'm glad it's there, but I think they're understaffed. I know people who have been turned away because they didn't make an appointment soon enough or something like that and I think that would be important for people with invisible disabilities." 


**Please note the phrase 'invisible disability' is in reference to mental health issues such as depression, ADD, ADHD, PTSD and so on. It is a term used to distinguish from physical disabilities or issues that may not manifest physically.**

No comments: