Sunday, October 4, 2015

Diverse Sources- Soraya Herbert

Source: Sergio
Identifying information about source: 
Sergio, Junior, age 26, Student and a Creative Writing major


 Question 1: This is the 25-year anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act, how do you think Texas State has changed since the implementation of the act? (Or how do you think Texas State is different now than it might have been before the Act?)

“ It has made Texas State more accessible for people to get from point A to point B, but may have a disability that prevents them to do so. I think it  makes Texas State a friendlier place, because with  the ADA it is welcoming to everybody in any situation.”

Question 2: Do you ever use any of the physical accommodations required by the ADA, such as elevators, ramps or door openers? How does this affect your commute around campus?

 “I always take the stairs, instead of the ramps.But, I always used the automatic door openers first thing in the morning, because I cannot even lift my arms before coffee.”

Question 3: What do you think this campus or this university would be like without the ADA?

“ It is hard to answer that as someone who does not have a disability, but I think it is not as welcoming. If we did not have the ADA Texas State would be a sadder campus.”

Question 4: Does the ADA affect you personally in any way?

“ No, not me personally, but I do have a classmate that uses the ADA services on a daily basis.”

Question 5: How do you think the university does in complying with the ADA?

“If feel that Texas State, would do what is necessary to keep balance in the student community and make sure that students with disabilities can achieve the best educational experience as possible”

Question 6: Do you think any changes need to be made to the ADA?

“ Like, I said as someone without a disability, I don’t see a problem with it right now, but I see it working just fine.”



No comments: