Sunday, October 4, 2015

Diverse Source: Emily Parma

Quotes collected by: Holly Henrichsen
Source: Emily Parma
About the Source: 21 years old, Special Education major, from Round Rock, Texas, Student, Grad year will be May 2017



Question 1: How do you think that Texas State has changed since the implementation of the ADA 25 years ago?

Emily Parma: "I feel like Texas State has a very large student population with disabilities and I feel like before, since the campus is so big and so hilly, maybe it would have been hard for people, say in wheelchairs or something, that could have been a challenge so I feel like they might have implemented a lot of physical accessibility routes and things like that. As a person with disability, I feel like they're very accommodating and I have not experienced any issues and I feel like before, when there was no laws to benefit these people that it would have been very uncomfortable as a person with a disability here because they're legally bound. Also, it's been 25 years so maybe someone who had someone with stigma against people with disabilities, don't now."

Question 2: Do you ever use any of the physical accommodations required by the ADA?

EP: "I use elevators a lot because the campus is so large and so hilly that it's really tiring, even though I don't have a physical disability, it helps me and so I feel like they're helpful for people with or without a disability."

Question 3: What do you think this campus would be like without the ADA?

EP: "I feel like it would be less diverse. I feel like Texas State is very diverse, as is, but there is a large population of students with disabilities and I feel like that adds a different perspective or feel."

Question 4: Does the ADA affect your personally in any way?

EP: "Yes, I use accommodations for my visual impairment every day in class and at work too. I feel like maybe I wouldn't have gotten this job without the ADA. I feel like, you know, personally, at this station, I would have because of the environment, it's very accepting, but maybe say, 30 years ago, I might not have."

Question 5: How do you think the University does in complying with the ADA?

EP: "Very well. I've only heard of one incident about someone asking a guy about 'Oh, you know, you can't bring your dog here,' I've only heard one incident out of, you know, we're at maximum capacity. I feel like they do really well. I haven't had any issues. I know that they just created a deaf section at the stadium which I feel like is a really big step. I mean, that's not really a legal issue at all but I feel like it's a social step."

Question 6: Do you have any personal experiences that were really great with how accepting and accommodating the university was?

EP: "Nothing that blew me out of the water but because I haven't had any non-compliance issues that maybe that as a person with disability that some people might be really uncomfortable about it but it's enabled, because the university is so accepting, it's enabled me to be more open about how I identify myself as a person with disability and I feel like if the university was no compliant with that, then I wouldn't be who I am. I wouldn't be able to, you know, even acknowledge that part of me."

Question 7: Do you think that there's anything more that Texas State can do to be more accommodating and accepting to students with disabilities?

EP: "I feel like they could help in educating non-disabled students about it more because there are so many students who the ADA benefits but a lot of people don't know anything about those disabilities or anything about the ADA so I feel like educating non-disabled students would be beneficial in kind of bridging the stigma that goes with people who the ADA benefits and things like that. It's only been 25 years and so I feel like we still have more steps to take to bridge that gap in the stigma. The university is really good about that but I feel like individuals could be more educated. Like there is disability awareness week or month but I feel like there's no education that goes along with that. It's just, 'oh, acknowledge it' and it's acknowledged but it's not educating people."

No comments: