Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Diverse Sources Story




Growing student body at Texas State University
By Fabiola Marroquin

Texas State University’s population continues to grow as years go by. Being named the fourth largest university in Texas is an honor, but what about residents who originally moved to San Marcos because of its small size, or the chaotic parking issues on campus?

University President Denise M. Trauth said in her From the Hill update, that the university has received its largest grant to date from NASA, worth $15 million. This would not have happened if the institution’s body count was not so high.

Jennah Stephenson
"It’s made me more proud of my school. It shows we are a really good institution, more people want to come here each year. I think San Marcos will keep it humble instead of being like UT because it is a big city. I like the fact that the school is a small school, and I love watching it expand," said Jenah Stephenson, communication studies major at Texas State.

Leanne Halliburton, freshman at Texas State
"It hasn't really affected me. It doesn't feel big to me, but I went to a big high school so I was used to it,” freshman, Leanne Halliburton said.

Not only is the growing population giving the university spirit and a more  recognizable reputation, it has also made San Marcos as a whole a more diverse town that leads to a more open-minded body.

According to the Enrollment Management and Marketing Department on the Texas State website, Texas State is ethnically diverse.

Josh Mitchell, senior at Texas State
But, just like any story, there are a few negative effects that come with this inevitable growing pattern. Current residents moved to San Marcos because of its small size in population, and as years have gone by this has become an issue.

"Things have been more crowded. There is a lot more construction to compensate for this rapid increase of enrollment,” Josh Mitchell, senior, said. 

“I think the biggest thing has to do with parking. There’s always, you know, never enough parking for anybody, anywhere on campus. Over the years that I’ve been here, with the increase, it’s just gotten that much harder,” Caleb Davis, 21, said.

Being a student at Texas State means preparing yourself for the chaotic construction that goes on and the lack of parking spots. All of this would be avoided if the growing rate was not increasing tremendously.
Elisa Alvarado
“Being a newly transfer student, the increase enrollment has yet to affect me. However, based on the tuition that was asked in 2008 (when I graduated high school) it has significantly risen. I correlate this difference with the student population,” Elisa Alvarado, 24, Psychology major, said.

Enrollment is expected to continually increase in the coming years and there is nothing that anyone can do about this. "I think that we have our own little slice of heaven here.  I love everything about this town. Except for all this darn construction. I do think that once it gets done it will be awesome!" Darbie Walker, student, said.

It is clear to see that there are both pros and cons on the situation but only time will tell what the outcome will be.

No comments: