Monday, July 20, 2015

Diverse Interview Exercise

Quotes collected by: Laura Aebi
Source: Matthew Hamill
Identifying information: Texas State student, American citizen, 21 y o, bartender, electronic media senior
Question 1: How do you feel about open carry?
“Well, you know, I understand the need for some people to feel secure, however on a school campus I feel like it is inappropriate and unnecessary. “
Question 2: So would you want students in your class to have a gun?
“No, I want students in my class to focus on showing up on time and trying to learn and get their diploma and get out of here instead about worrying about their protection- which, at TXST is totally unnecessary, I mean, we have our own police department”
Question 3: Do you believe a shooting at TXST is a real threat?
“Unfortunately, any shooting is a threat at any time or place. Its one of those events that can happen anywhere. In this country, they can happen at elementary schools and even, recently, recruitment centers.
Question 4: Do you have guns?
“No, I brought up that I was an American citizen, because I was actually born in Scotland, and that is where my family is from. None of us have any guns at all. We don’t feel its necessary.”
Question 5: What do you think is a good alternative to open carry to ensure protection on campus?

“There could be more police officers on foot on campus, as well as having a plan if there was an active shooter on campus. Self defense knowledge can also be really useful."

No comments: