Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Diverse sources interviews


Jenah Stephenson sophomore at Texas State


Jenah Stephenson
From Red Oak, Texas
19
Major: Communication Studies


1. The university had a record enrollment of 35,568 students last year and is expected to have a record or   near-record again this year. How has this increased enrollment affected you?

"It’s made me more proud of my school. It shows we are a really good institution, more people want to come here each year. I think San Marcos will keep it humble instead of being like UT because it is a big city. I like the fact that the school was a small school, and I love watching it expand."



2. Do you think the university should continue to grow? Why or why not?

"Yes the university should continue to grow. We need a better way to handle construction, but we should grow. It gives students in and out of state a better opportunity in Texas."

3. Did the size of the university influence your decision to come here?

"Yes it did I visited West Texas A&M and hated it because it's small. Texas State is the right size, it felt like I actually mattered here. I wasn’t just another number. I liked Texas State about how diverse the student enrollment is and how it allows growth in our community."



Josh Mitchell Senior at Texas State


Josh Mitchell 
22 
From Lake Jackson, Texas
Student Government- Academic Affairs Chair Committee
Major: Urban Regional Planning, Minor: Political Science
  

 1.  The university had a record enrollment of 35,568 students last year and is expected to have a record or near-record again this year. How has this increased enrollment affected you?

"Things have been more crowded. There is a lot more construction to compensate for this rapid increase of enrollment, but overall I think it’s good for the university and the future of Texas State. It will be more of a college to beat as opposed to a school that people see as either second rate or not as good as UT or A&M, when in just reality it’s just as good in a lot of ways."


 2.   Should the university continue to grow?
 

"Yes I do believe the university should continue to grow to be competitive with other schools like UT and A&M they need to grow. We have one of the best geography programs in the state, one of the best business programs in the state, we have a lot of good programs here at Texas State, and we have a really good theater department at Texas State. If we continue to grow we continue to improve on those programs."
 
3.  Did the size of the university influence your decision to come here? 

      "Yes the size of the university did influence by decision to come to Texas State but at the time I believe it was about 28,000 students and I came here because it was a small size relative. I have been to UT, my sister went there and it was over whelming and the size is 50,000 people in one place in a small area. Growing up in a town of 12,000 still a lot less than 50,000 people. I didn’t want to go anywhere too big."
  4 . Overall how do you feel like the campus expansion and beautification will affect the overall environment?
 
 "I think the expansion of the campus and beautification of the campus that is happening right now will generally attack more students but, I think the university is beginning to forget is that a lot of people that are here now came here because it felt small because it didn’t feel as big as a A&M or a UT. Texas State feels homier like a place you can be comfortable. Generally the expansion and beautification will help this campus grow and I think that is the campus overall goal." 

No comments: